Monday, March 25, 2013

What Have I Learned?

What have I learned? I feel, coming within 1 month to finishing a year at the TJ, that it is time to share some hard knocks with you.

Certain things do stand out. If you read my marketing post you understand that customer service is paramount. If you've read any of my posts you understand that fact. I had to re-learn that. Let me tell you a little bit about who this man used to be.

I used to be the person that did not enjoy his work. I was always too good for it. I was always just getting to the next step. It was something that got in the way of living life. Work interrupted my reading, drawing, or tv watching time. People, I did not understand. When the pressure got to be too much I dropped out. When too much was left to do, my energy drained completely away from me. When people did not like me, I wondered why, and obsessed until I got sick about it. When I failed at something on the job, it reinforced my poor self-image. Did I quit? Yes. Did I have a poor attitude? Yes. Did I get terminated? Yes.

Why?! I'll answer that question with the lessons I have learned.

I mentioned customer service. I had received some poor reviews online. Two of them mentioned my "East Coast sarcasm," and my "bad attitude (but thank goodness it wasn't directed at us)." The truth is that I have a dry wit, and that comes across as a poor attitude. So what am I to do when 90% of people do not know when I am being serious, or sarcastic?

Change it. First lesson: Put on a happy face, welcome them with gusto, be at their absolute service, talk them up, market a little, and get them to leave with a smile and a thank you. How can you stand doing that 7 days a week? Fake it 'til you make it. On my office door, facing the apartment, I have a sign that reminds me to feel at peace, and put on the character. That's what we do, isn't it? That's what professionalism is, isn't it? How else can you leave home at home, your issues at the door, and your crappy morning at the curb? You put on the character. And it works.

Why does it work? Because I am sincere! I am absolutely sincere about the General Manager role. It's the role that will determine the course of my future. I am making the absolute most of it. My biggest lesson was embracing the role, status, and stature of being the General Manager of the TJ Motel.

Embracing that role has given me a strong sense of pride in the business I have been given the responsibility to run. It has imbued me with guts, confidence in making decisions, patience (oh goodness the patience I have earned), and a strong sense of leadership. This motel is my baby, and I have fully embraced that. The good, and most especially, the bad.

Patience. Let me share a little of that lesson with you. It used to be that I wanted to see you in my office just to check in. After that, please leave me alone. It is not that way any longer. It used to be that if a guest came in with a complaint I would run over my dog to get that issue addressed and overwith as soon as possible. It is not that way any more. I would get all kinds of upset if, for instance, I had to spend 5 minutes locating a lighter so I could light the heater in room 19 for the 88th time. It is no longer that way.

I learned that the issues come. They come at really bad times. They come most inconveniently. And they are issues that no one wants to deal with. I changed my perceptions. Now, instead of getting flustered I take a measured approach to the issue. I understand that, should I have to light the heater in room 19, it is probably going to take 5 minutes to locate my lighter. Why? Because my youngest toddler is in love with it, finds it no matter where I hide it, and puts it in one of ten locations my wife and I refer to as "black holes."

I also understand that guests are impatient. That is why, at the outset I inform my customer that this may take some time. I have yet to receive a negative response from that. After briefly telling the customer why 19's heater goes out, I light it. I get it going. I then inform them that it is an ambient heater without a blower, and it will take 20 minutes to warm the room. Would you like a space heater in the meantime? Most say no. Some say yes. I know that all want to answer in the affirmative, so I bring it into the room with me.

I learned that there is no reason to get upset over property issues. They come. And they can go fast or slow depending on how your attitude is when you approach them.

More patience! I have tried to learn in the past to, when presented with a problem, exhaust my resources before going to management. Now that I am in charge of the business, and I own almost all of the issues that arise, I have to fight the urge to call ownership. I have to bite it back, and own the problem. The main reason for that is because when I call them, they ask me what I have done to solve the problem. If I have done nothing, I have wasted their time.

It's fighting the panic response. That takes measured patience to accomplish. It takes a calm, cool head to take a step back and really look at the situation, analyze your options, exhaust your resources, and fix the issue. Getting upset at something never solved any problems, particularly if that something is a water heater that needs to be relit four times per day. Getting upset instantly kills your patience. It's gone. Kiss it goodbye and hang on, because the next hour of your life is going to exhaust you. By the time you crawl back out from under that building, you will be ready for a shower and bed even though it's only 3 PM.

Watch it. Remake that attitude. Because I also learned that attitude is a choice. There was a formula I was given by a great man. I have really learned a lot about it. The formula is Event + Response = Outcome. It is one of those things that you discover in life that take years and experience to understand. I know that seems simple, but life is never simple.

Let us use an example from the past. Event: I am in the middle of a mountain of laundry, busy directing maids, and have 10 more things to do during the next few hours - when someone rings the doorbell. Response: A.) Get upset that someone is interrupting the workflow of your day to waste your time checking in too dang early and show that irritation when opening the door for them so they know they have come at a bad time, or B.) Put your workflow aside because thank goodness, an opportunity has come to earn some revenue, make someone smile, and earn a good review should the opportunity arise.

Equals the Outcome: A.) Make the person upset. Make them feel stupid and inconvenient. Earn their contempt, lose their repeat business, and the business of anyone they talk to. Earn a poor review online in some cases. Get your owners on your case as a result. Feel lousy about yourself. Go back to your workload even more hopeless than ever. Or B.) Make a friend. Make them feel welcome and grateful. Earn their admiration and trust, earn their repeat business, and the business of anyone they talk to. Earn a great review online in some cases. Get the adulation and praise of your owners as a result. Feel impressed with yourself. And go back to your workload grateful for the break.

Tough choice, right? It is a tough choice because it must be made in the moment, with the attitude you already have! I have learned to finally turn off the tap, and get into a great attitude whether I like the work or not. This motel has driven me to the breaking point, and well beyond. The miracle, and the most important lesson I have learned, is that I did not break. I owned the job. I owned the responsibility. I owned the overwhelming tasks I have to do. I learned simply that I can. If there is truly a lesson I value above all others it is that I can.

I can do electrical work, plumbing, fix toilets, handle propane devices, do landscaping, increase curb appeal, market the business, do statistical analysis, lead, manage, train, learn, educate, negotiate, sell, and make the most of the little I have. I have accomplished great things thus far, and have seldom been comfortable. I value getting outside the bubble because I know I am going to learn something worthwhile. Diplomacy is one of my favorites.

I have learned that if you just listen, and think, you can really solve some complex issues. Dealing with a large group of construction workers I let each of them know that, should they have a complaint, I am there to resolve it. Then I set the standard by fixing a problem issue in two of their rooms to seal the promise. These boys will now stay here, rather than anywhere else, and recommend the TJ to anyone that asks for the duration of their work project.

Last lesson: be smart. Owning the management of the motel, owning the front desk, owning the attitude, owning the phone calls, and owning the property has taught me to use my mind as a remarkable tool to immediately solve problems. Ownership has taught me to strategize in an instant, in a variety of situations. Ownership has taught me to control the conversation, situation, or confrontation, and get a good result out of it. Whether that is committing a maid to a change in her routine, or talking a customer down from a complaint. I have learned valuable skills applicable to countless situations.

There is so much more to share. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment