Sunday, May 4, 2014

Have I Grown?


I was presented with a profitable opportunity I could not pass up. Out here in Thames we are 20 minutes from a large research facility owned and operated by the government, and her military. They are constantly tearing down and building on site, and they have a large project wrapping up that will aid in the decommissioning of . . . well. Let's just say it's a necessary facility.

Paul's Paint has stayed with me for over a year, several different guys, on and off through the months. As they wind down their massive painting job I noticed a trend - they would hire a new guy, two weeks later (one time two days later) the new hire would quit. I could tell it was getting on their nerves so I volunteered.

"I'll work for ya!" I said one evening to the boss man. He seemed taken aback, but intrigued. The next week I was offered a temporary job at a substantial wage. It's double the highest wage I've earned. I talked it over with my wife. She was reluctant because it would mean she would be responsible for the motel, and the three kids, the house, the guests, and everything while I was gone.

She decided in favor provided I get permission from ownership. They allotted me two weeks to work with Paul's Paint.

It wasn't two days before things came to a head at the motel. We started experiencing problems with the maids - inconsistencies in their work. The grounds seemed to get away from me. Maintenance issues stacked up, and I was missing my routine. Tomorrow I begin week three, with only three days to work before Paul goes back home for a long weekend (the man was nearly smashed to death in a collision with a semi a few months back, so he has a lot of doctor appointments).

I put in an hour or two every evening to get things caught up even though this painting job takes it out of me. The painting I'm doing is in a huge facility where the only path to the top decks is 106 stairs. Yeah. I'll climb those at least four times per day. Everything else is labor intensive, whether I'm wrapping lights and fixtures, or on my knees cutting in edges on staircases and decks. I get up at 5, and am at work by 6:30. Fortunately security on site is a stickler for emptying the base of civilians by 4 PM, and we are 10 miles from the nearest exit.

But we move move move during shift. The only break is lunch.

I have learned what it is to be away from the TJ Motel for several hours per day, and what it feels like to be in work mode from before dusk to well after the sun has set. When you are exhausted, and the door is chiming every twenty minutes it's easy to get aggravated. Why? Because in my exhausted state, after a long day of painting I am at home giving attention to the kids, helping with dinner, doing dishes, taking out trash, running some errands, catching up on the work at the motel, checking in guests, attending to their needs, and changing diapers. I rarely sit down for more than five minutes until bedtime. I'm tired.

I have learned that my attitude has changed dramatically. I work this job for Paul, and I find myself immersed in the work. The time goes by as it should, but all that matters is the task at hand. I am no longer resentful. I no longer have feelings of entitlement. I am at peace with my labor, the environment, the people, the insane hours, and the situation. I am grateful for the opportunity.

With that realization I wondered; do I like to paint? Or have I truly grown? Could I really accept a job, any job, and have the same attitude? I believe I can. I believe I have achieved that skill set. I have also noticed that home remains at home, and I am at work to work.

I wondered when I would finally develop that skill. Now I know I have it. This whole experience has built confidence, helped immensely with our financial situation, given me new experiences, and taught me a great deal. Even my marriage has become renewed, as this situation has helped my wife and I learn more about each other.

All I took the job for was extra cash, but I have come out the other end with realizations that I am reaching my potential, leaving my past behind me, and growing as a worker, and professional. Taking a step back I am able to see the benefits, and able to revamp my policies and practices at the TJ Motel to make her an even better oiled machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment